Welcome back to Volume 20 of SYFFAL's Bi-Weekly mix of new music that is a must for your ears and rears. Every other week Del LeFevre will give you the best of what's new, interesting and just plain tasty. Take this music and inject it into your mp3 players and your cars. Embrace the high.
If you like what you read or hear, help support the artist with some likes, tweets, downloads, and dollars.
1) Heartbeat – Childish Gambino: This volume of track marks is going to lead with a Haters Gonna Hate music block. Some of the artists deserve the hate. Some don’t. Childish Gambino does not. This song kills with its pulsing Justice in the club sound chorus. It matches Donald Glovers weird suburban celebrity rants perfectly.
3) Pumped Up Kicks (Gigamesh remix) – Foster The People: You might be saying to yourself why the hell is this long in the tooth stale ass song on Track Marks? That’s not right! The song is so fresh and so clean clean thanks to the remix powers of SYFFAL favorite, Gigamesh. He’s at the RAC level at this point. Dude crushes everything he touches
4) Knock Power (LL Cool J vs Justice): The Hood Internet: For reasons unknown everyone hates on the new Justice album. I don’t get it. I think it is boss as Fuck. Maybe I need to trick the haters into digging on Justice through a Hood Internet mix. At the very least we get to rock LL Cool J’s fight song one last time before we send it off into the sunset. Never again LL, never again.
5) Right Back To You – Electric Youth: If any band is ready to tackle “Push it to the Limit” for SYFFAL’s Pop Cultures Collide it is Electric Youth. Can someone hit up these synth poppers and see if they’d be game. After hearing “Right Back to You” it seems like a no brainer.
6) Record Collection 2012 (feat. MNDR, Pharrell, Wiley & Wretch 32 (Plastic Plates Remix)- Mark Ronson: This Ronson led jam gets a stripped and shattered remix courtesy of Plastic Plates. Gone are the quick jumps and sound changes and in its place is a long flowing early night club oozer.
7) Caméleon Chameleon (Club Remix) - Escort: NY Disco sound is spreading! Debbie Harry inspired clones are walking the streets looking to take over the world with their swinging sounds. How do you prepare for the end of the world? Sequins, shoulder pads, and cocaine
8) I Wanted To Tell Her (Ministry cover) – Holy Ghost (featuring Nancy Whang): Nancy Whang lives. Nancy Whang rocks. This is one of my favorite covers of the year by one of my favorite bands of the year. DFA 4 Life. We need more Nancy in our lives, James Murphy. Make it happen.
9) Don’t Stop – Wild Vibes: Obsessive Hooky Pop rock love is something that I’m working on with my therapist during the weekly SYFFAL sessions. I shouldn’t feel so bad for digging Wild Vibes. I’m probably just projecting. Her time could probably be spent better, maybe by focusing on Joel Frieder’s infatuation with fecal matter, sausages, and rest stops. Rumor has it he’s been known to belt the chorus to this song while in bathroom stalls.
10) True Romance – Citizens: This is a great song from London’s Citizens. It’s totally Track Marks worthy but I really wanted to share it so I could include the video which is creepy as Fuck:
11) Goose – The Cast of Cheers: I think the remaining members of Bloc Party can call off their Kele Replacement search. Kele 2.0. has been found ...and he’s fronting the Cast of Cheers. I can’t believe I’m saying it...But Fuck Bloc Party. “Goose” sounds more like Bloc Party than Bloc Party has in the past two albums. Let Bloc Party fade away until they are ready to reunite @ Coachella 2014
12) Excuse Me – Lemaître: I love bi-polar tracks. This song has two distinct personalities pre and post 2:33. It’s like the French disco house version of Full Metal Jacket…but with slightly more sucky sucky.
13) Holiday (RAC Remix) – Body Language: RAC 4 Life. RAC 4 Life. RAC 4 Life. RAC 4 Life. RAC 4 Life. Another winning remix by the H.A.M. of the remix game. They can do no wrong. Ever. Fact.
14) We are Young – Juveniles: Describing yourself as French Synth New Wave is pretty much the quickest way to cementing your slot here on Track Marks. Kicking ass helps. That is all
15) Ex-Believer – Computer Magic: Computer Magic makes her second appearance on Track Marks with this fresh new track. I have a feeling every new track she releases will find its way on to these mixtapes.
16) I Go Crazy – LA Girlfriend: LA Girlfriend’s cover of “I Go Crazy” from Some Kind of Wonderful” was just too good to stay orphaned over at the Pop Cultures Collide page. Here’s your second chance to embrace this track
17) Crish (Javelin Remixxx) – Future Islands: The FYF fest standouts Future Islands get their aggressive dance rock remixed into a dancier dance jam to dance the night away. Four Dances in one sentence. Not too shabby.
18) Zimbabwe – New Navy: New Navy get their Fools Gold on with “Zimbabwe”. Tracks like these make me want to save money to go on a trip. Somewhere tropical. I’ll meet a townie. She’ll teach me to how dance...and along the way we’ll both learn how to love again.
19) Johnny and Mary (Robert Palmer cover) – Kisses: I don’t know this as a Robert Palmer song so I probably don’t even need to classify it as a Robert Palmer cover…but I don’t need any more hate mail from Robert Palmer. Dude holds a grudge.
20) Runaway (The National cover) – 835: Tackling the National is a risky proposition. Matt Beringer has a pretty unmatchable tone and cadence. It’s kind of a losing proposition. 835 recognized that and tweaked the song and gave it a synthy electro makeover.